Home for the Holidays

Tuesday, December 8, 2015


We're baaaack!

Our Caribbean cruise vacation was spectacular and I miss it so much already. We spent a week at sea on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas and island hopped from CocoCay, Bahamas to Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas to Philipsburg, St. Maarten. We drank and swam and snorkeled our way through each of the islands and it could not have been more beautiful.

I am planning to put together a separate post for each of the ports we visited and hopefully a fun video of our entire vacation. I am not the best when it comes to making videos, but we recorded so many moments from our trip I feel like I have to do something with them all! So we'll see!

Now that we're back in the states, Mike and I have been working hard to catch up on all of the holiday fun that everyone else has been enjoying for the last week or so. We feel a little behind this year but in the last couple of days I've been fully immersing myself in all things Christmas. Before we left, I bought a ton of Christmasy things from Target and planned out all of the cookies we're going to be making this year so that at least I would have a couple of things checked off my list by the time we got back. This week, our plan is to knock out most of the others. We are going to get our tree, put up lights, decorate the house, buy the remaining cookie supplies, head to my high school's annual Christmas concert (one of our holiday traditions), and then spend the entire weekend with family baking cookies and Christmas shopping. Hopefully we can get it all done!

My favorite part of all the Christmas prep this year though was shopping for our Adopt-a-Family. For a couple of years, I've wanted to participate in the Adopt-a-Family program through House of Ruth Maryland, but somehow I would always forget until it was nearly December and all of the families had already been adopted. So this year, I made sure to apply early and I ended up getting an email in November with our adopted family's profile! For those that are not familiar, the Adopt-a-Family program through House of Ruth Maryland works to help provide a nice Christmas for women and children who are victims of domestic violence and living in a shelter during the holidays.


The family we adopted this year included a mother and her 5-year-old son. We had so much fun shopping for them and working hard to get all of the items on their wish list. I was pleased to find out that nearly 400 families were adopted this season and I love knowing that we could help give back to a family that really needs some love and comfort.

This was also an item on my 101 list, so I'm even more excited to cross another one off! I'll be back later in the week to share some more about our holiday plans! Have a wonderful Tuesday!


5 comments:

  1. That photo is amazing!! I oddly enough knew 6 other people that were on your exact cruise, and I didn't realize it until yesterday. How ironic! I can't wait to read about all of your adventures. So happy to have you back <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're kidding! That's so funny! I wonder if we ran into them or hung out with them at any point!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had a blast. You totally deserved it! My mom and I adopt a family every year and I love putting the gifts together! Glad you made it home safe and sound! Can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's good to go away on vacation but it's also nice to come home after all the fun. I'm so excited for the holidays! And I'm so happy that you guys adopt a family too! Can't wait to see youuu! :)

      Delete
  3. I love that you adopted a family! I should look into a program like that around here. So excited to hear about your cruise =)

    ReplyDelete