Who Wants To Be A Billionaire?

Wednesday, January 13, 2016


The other morning, I woke up super congested still trying to recover from this nasty cold I've got lingering. Mike decided after making me some tea, to run out to Starbucks to grab a pair of our favorite lattes and some breakfast, hoping that might cheer me up.

Soon after he left, I texted him and told him to swing by the convenience store and grab another Powerball ticket. Unless you've been living under a rock for the last few weeks, you are probably starkly aware of the value of the jackpot. $1.5 Billion. Ridiculous dinero, friends.

So I shouldn't have been shocked when he returned with $60 worth of tickets!


We aren't gamblers by any means, but this is such a record jackpot, I wasn't at all upset that he dropped that kind of cash. It's too much fun not to play! We spent the afternoon dreaming about what we would do if we got to take home the prize.

1. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. We would probably sit on the money (or maybe even on the winning ticket) for a few weeks. In Maryland, you have 182 days from the drawing to claim your prize. Aside from signing the back of the ticket and possibly gluing it to my hand so we wouldn't lose it, we would take a good amount of time trying to decide exactly how we want to spread the winnings.

2. Share. If were were to win 1.5 billion dollars, after taxes, we would likely get $930 million. Honestly, I wouldn't know how to spend even 10 million dollars, much less 930, so we would most definitely be sharing the wealth. We would likely divvy it out to our family members, charities, and other organizations we deem important. We would also take a large chunk, invest half of it, and save the other half - locking them away so we couldn't touch them for a long while.

3. Travel! Our next plan would be to travel the globe for a year or so. It's always been a dream of ours to explore every corner of the world, so with this kind of financial stability, we wouldn't wait a second to pack our bags and hop on a plane!

4. Settle down and enjoy. We also decided that the next step would be selling our house and buying a piece of property on a lake somewhere, building our dream home, and then settling in. While Mike said he probably wouldn't work at the same job he has now, I love what I do so much that I would at least want to stay part time. Eventually though,  we would likely both go back to school. Getting a PhD is something we have both always dreamed about, but financially it never made sense. With unlimited funds, there would be nothing stopping us from pursuing those goals!

The drawing is tonight, so if you don't hear from me for a while after this and you start seeing pictures on Instagram of Mike and I in Europe, Asia, and Australia, hit me up and I'll bring you along ;)

Did you play the lottery this time? What would you do if you scored that kind of cash? 

8 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Charlie! It made me laugh out loud! I seriously hope you win and then hoping you make good on Number 2 (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I thought it was just too perfect for this post! I wish we had won :( Next time! haha

      Delete
  2. I imagine half of America is talking about this tonight. The cash out is only like $600 million (hahahah Did I just say ONLY?!), but I agree, I couldn't imagine just having 10 million. If nobody wins tonight, the next jackpot will be 2 billion dollars, the cash payout for that is 1.2 billion...could you believe it? An instant billionaire. The first thing we would do is take our family, friends, and about 50 other deserving people on the trip of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'd include all your favorite blogger babes on that trip! ;)

      Delete
  3. I'd buy $60 worth of tickets too if I could! Love your plans for if you win. Fingers crossed for you guys. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had won! But out of $60 we won $11 back! haha

      Delete
  4. I bought $20 worth. It would have been SO amazing to win!

    <3 Have Ashley, Will Travel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really would have! We ended up scoring $11 though. Better than nothing I guess! haha

      Delete