Calligraphy Workshops with Laura Hooper

Monday, August 29, 2016


A few months ago, I discovered that one of my favorite wedding vendors, Laura Hooper Calligraphy, hosts workshops for beginners interested in learning the art of calligraphy. Calligraphy has always been something that fascinated me and I find hand lettering in general to be incredibly beautiful. I've always admired people who had the patience and talent for it, but I never thought I'd have the opportunity to learn myself. When I saw that there was a workshop being held in Alexandria, Virginia, I knew I wanted to attend but didn't want to go alone so I put it on the back burner until I could find someone to bring with me. Ironically, two days later, my best friend from college texted me asking if I'd like to attend a calligraphy workshop in Alexandria with her! It cracked me up that we had both discovered it around the same time and knew we had to make a girls weekend out of it.

The workshop itself was flawless, from the accessories to the florals to the styling of the studio. I was kicking myself for not bringing my DSLR to capture the day because every detail was stunning. These ladies clearly know how to run a business!



We sipped on Pampelonne sparkling rosé and munched on lemon macarons and bourbon truffles as we learned all about the art of the pointed pen. Laura and her sister Alyssa led the class every step of the way, breaking down everything from the structure and parts of the pen itself to each stroke of each letter of the copperplate alphabet. We practiced for a nearly three hours and while my hand was cramping up by the end, I felt so excited to have all the tools I needed to start practicing at home afterward. Aside from instruction, the workshop includes the practice paper, an instruction booklet, your very own pen and pot of ink, the necessary accessories, and a keepsake tote. I bought an extra practice pad and hope to be good enough by Christmas to address our greeting cards!

Since we traveled all the way down to Alexandria, we stayed the night at Hotel Monaco right on King Street. I had never been to Old Town Alexandria before, but the minute I saw the quaint little shops and historic homes, my Annapolitan heart fell in love. The outdoor cafes, basement bars, and sailboats on the Potomac reminded me so much of our favorite little spots in Annapolis. I hope that we can head back down again soon for another taste of Alexandria living!


8 comments:

  1. I love Alexandria! and that class looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a cute little town! I highly recommend checking it out if you're ever down that way!

      Delete
  2. This looks and sounds like the BEST class to take. I hope I can make it the next time they are around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kicking myself for not mentioning it to you! You will love it if you do!

      Delete
  3. This weekend looks like every bloggers dream-- so Instagrammable! What a cool experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! The space was so cute! I just hope I can keep practicing long enough to improve before Christmas! :)

      Delete
  4. Yay! I loooove Alexandria- my Uncle used to live there and it is so stinkin cute. I am impressed with you lady! I have the worst handwriting but have a feeling I'd get super frustrated taking this workshop. I can't wait to see you hand letter the shit out of some Christmas cards ;) The hotel is SO fun too. Looks like the makings of a great girls weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! The area is so expensive though! And here I thought Annapolis was bad haha! And GIRL, I felt the same way. My handwriting is terrible but this actually helped me to really slow down and focus on what I was doing which I think is why my writing is so bad in the first place. I rush all the time! We'll see how these cards turn out if I can find the time to practice!

      Delete