Never Forget

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Fifteen years. FIFTEEN years. It's really hard to believe that fifteen whole years have passed since that tragic day in September 2001.

This past Spring, Mike and I went up to NYC to visit one of my best childhood friends, Erika, who had written an incredible play that she was also starring in at the New Ohio Theatre. We had the best time catching up with her and thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed the production. On our last day there, we decided to take a walk from our hotel in Lower Manhattan down to the 9/11 memorial.

I've been wanting to visit the memorial for a few years now but honestly, wasn't sure how I would be able to handle it emotionally. It takes time to prepare yourself for something this heavy. So we waited. And nearly fifteen years later, we decided to go.


When we got there, hundreds of people were circling the footprints of the two towers but somehow, it was quiet. You could hear the rush of the water falling into the space where the towers once stood. It was drizzling and overcast, but for me, that set the right mood for such a sacred place.

We walked along tracing our fingers over the names of the fallen and scanning the white roses people had left for loved ones. We found names we had heard stories about, common people who had gone above and beyond that day and the weeks that followed. Heroes. They were all heroes to us.

A couple of years ago, I found this video circulating social media and I saved it because to me, this story completely symbolized what that terrible day was really all about. Resilience. To me, that's what America is and always will be. No matter what we face, what challenges come our way, we will always overcome and always be resilient.

Take a few minutes today to pause and remember those we lost that day. Hug your significant other, hold your children just a little tighter, have patience with those around you. We are all so lucky to still call this great nation our home.


We Will Never Forget.

2 comments:

  1. I still can't believe that 15 years has passed since the attacks. What an amazing video, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so powerful. I still remember where I was 15 years ago on that day.

    ReplyDelete