That Time I Attended a Record-Breaking Concert

Friday, September 9, 2016


Wednesday afternoon, as soon as I got out of work, my mom, our friend Paul and I made our way up to Citizens Bank Stadium in Philadelphia to spend an evening with none other than The Boss himself, Bruce Springsteen. This was his first of two shows in Philly on The River Tour and since I had never been to one of his concerts before, I had no idea what to expect, but from all of the things I've heard I knew I was in for a epically good time. Little did I know, we'd be breaking a record that night.

For more than four hours and with a set list 34 songs long, Bruce rocked the stadium with more than 40,000 fans. From classics like "Born to Run," "Hungry Heart," and "Because the Night" to "Streets of Philadelphia," "Fever," and "Thundercrack" that he played just for Philly, the warm September air in the stadium was filled with these and thousands of voices singing along. He told stories about growing up on the other side of the Delaware River and the shop where he bought his first guitar. Even though we were sitting so high up we could see the city skyline above the stadium, it felt like I was right there on stage with him. He made it feel that personal and that much fun.

From the first note to last blast of fireworks at the end of the show, Bruce totally killed it. We didn't get home until after 2:00AM, but it was worth every minute of lost sleep. The next morning I awoke to headlines announcing that on that night in Philly The Boss had beaten his last three record-breaking marathon shows and the U.S. record for longest show - again.

Tonight he plays a second show in Philly and I wouldn't be surprised if he smashes this record yet again, but knowing that we got to be there the night that he broke his record in a city he holds very close to his heart means so, so much. This is a show I will never forget.

5 comments:

  1. Live concerts are the best! I love it when the musicians make it personal, and I love the atmosphere at concerts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that the longest show was a record, but super cool that you were there for it! I loved all of your snaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool! Longest show- so awesome to be at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazing!! I love Bruce Springsteen and seeing him in concert would be amazing! And lucky you to get to see him for so long! Hope you're having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete