You've Been Gilmored.

Thursday, October 6, 2016

There's something I haven't talked much about on this blog but since it's a huge part of who I am, I feel I need to share it. So today, I'm officially coming clean.

I, Laura Powell, am a Glimore Girls addict

And I don't just mean your typically oh-I've-binge-watched-all-seven-seasons-on-Netflix kind of addict. I mean a full-blown, intervention-level, I'm-ready-to-move-to-Stars-Hollow kind of addict. I own all seven seasons and have opened and closed the boxes so many times the spines are completely broken. I regularly quote Lorelai in day-to-day conversation and I have the theme song permanently seared into my cortex. My brain also seems to store the weirdest facts about the show like the origin of Lane's band's name (Hep Alien) and the nickname Rory and Lorelai have for Luke's toolbox as well as what Kirk's name was in the pilot episode when he came to install the DSL (hint: it wasn't Kirk - continuity errors be damned!) 


The show started back when I was in middle school and I can honestly say that I feel I was partially raised by Lorelai Gilmore. She was more than just a TV mom that had a kid at 16. She was a total badass with super quick wit, the best t-shirt collection, killer blue eyes, and a freaky large repertoire of pop culture references that she shared with her insanely smart daughter, Rory. The dynamic and tight-knit relationship that Lorelai and Rory had was something that I think most mothers and daughters wished they had. So, as a teen who was constantly battling my mom on everything from low-rise jeans to curfew, it was an important thread that drew us closer together.  

As a teenager, there are all sorts of crazy things that go through your head. You're trying to figure out who you are, what you like, what you want to be when you grow up, and how to do it all somewhat gracefully, hoping that people won't remember those super awkward years where you cut your own bangs and thought that bell-bottom jeans with a diameter of roughly two feet around the ankles looked fabulous when paired with your pink wedge flip-flops and roll-on glitter eyeshadow. (90s be damned!) It's hard enough being a teen, especially when you don't really fit in, so this show was quite literally a break from reality for me. For one hour every week, I could step outside myself and into a quirky, picturesque little town full of unique and slightly strange characters who owned their differences and still managed to find a place in society. It wasn't perfect, but for someone who was struggling to identify, it felt like home. Every day since then, as I navigate adulthood, this show has grown with me and although it sounds a bit crazy, it's gotten me through some pretty rough times. 

So all that said, you can imagine my excitement when I heard that Luke's diner was coming to Baltimore. For one day, Netflix sponsored 250 coffee shops across the US to transform their stores into mini Luke's diners complete with classic signage, Luke's coffee cups, and even backwards baseball caps. It was the stuff that dreams are made of - well, at least for Gilmore fans. In honor of the upcoming four-part series return of the show, they brought a little bit of Gilmore and a whole lot of happiness to life for thousands of fans.


My best friend Katie (and fellow Gilmore addict) and I spent the morning there eating bagels and drinking coffee and while we chatted, I secretly hoped that Luke's could stay forever in my hometown. I'll always cherish this show and these characters and the impact they had on me growing up. The wit, the wisdom, the charm, the poignancy. I will always love it.

And with that, I leave you some of my favorite Gilmore moments.

4 comments:

  1. I love everything about this post and I'm so sad there wasn't a Luke's near me that I know of. I can not wait for the reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES YES YES!!! Gilmore Girls is one of the shows you can just connect with and it makes you feel like you are apart of the show rather than just a viewer. My favorite line ever is the one about being flexible because it is SO true. I love all of the Rory & Jess gifs, I hope they are married with lots of babies by now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes girl! I am re-watching the seasons AGAIN in preparation for November and am already sucked back in life its the first time I'm watching. I can't wait to see where they are now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I'm reading this right now because I am literally 20 minutes into the first episode. It's on Netflix right now. I haven't watched it since middle/high school, so I feel like it's brand new again. So cool that you went to Luke's!!

    ReplyDelete