Dreaming of Christmas

Friday, December 23, 2016


After all these years I think I can finally say I've got the hang of this holiday prep thing.

When we moved into our house three years ago, although it was July and 500 degrees outside, I couldn't help but dream about decorating our first home for Christmas. In our apartment, there wasn't much we could do but hang a few stockings over our fireplace and put up a tree. We didn't even have a balcony in our first place so there was really nowhere to put lights. But after settling on a place of our own, I couldn't wait for the holidays to come so that I could really deck the halls.

I imagined decorating our front windows with little white lights and fresh Christmas wreaths, bringing home our very own tree and placing it in front of our living room bay window with all the ornaments we'd collected over the years. I pictured setting up a real dining room table with beautiful centerpieces made of holly and pine, lighting tall candles and having a big Christmas dinner with friends and family.

When that first December rolled around though, it didn't quite go as planned. We realized that since we had only lived in a shoe-box apartment, we had absolutely no Christmas decorations aside from our stockings and ornaments. Literally nothing else. And as newlyweds, we also didn't have the budget to buy all of the fancy decorations I had dreamed about for so long. While disappointed, we did the best we could with what we had.

Over the last couple of Christmases however, I've slowly but surely been collecting some pretty pieces, but also learning how to use more natural elements to decorate. I love being able to use fresh garland cut from pines in our back yard all around the house, the smell of simmering holiday scents on the stove, and white lights twinkling everywhere I can find a spot to hang them. Now, for our fourth Christmas in this house, I think I can finally say that I have our home's holiday decor nailed down, just like I've always wanted. Our wreaths are hung, lanterns in place, and presents are wrapped under the tree. I feel like I can finally say that I'm ready for Christmas to come! Bring on the cheer!

I won't be back here before the holiday so I hope everyone has a wonderfully magical Christmas with friends and family. Sending all our love and Christmas wishes to you and yours!

6 comments:

  1. Looks SO cozy! I love the way you've captured the Christmas spirit in these photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! It's nice to be home for the holidays and snuggle up with the pup!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, your decorating skills are on point! It is so fun having the space to really decorate, but it can be so expensive gathering all of the decor to begin with. I love that you were able to use greens from your own yard! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is expensive! I'd definitely love one of those pinterest-worthy homes, but don't need the price tag that comes with them! haha

      Delete
  3. SO PRETTY! Laura you are a pro at decorating! I wish I had the eye, I definitely don't. I love the table runner so much! Merry Christmas love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! Hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas! <3

      Delete