Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Cups

Wednesday, January 18, 2017


[via]
A couple weeks ago, I posted a few videos on Instagram stories when I made these breakfast cups and got several requests for the recipe, so I thought it might be wise to stick it up on the blog in case others are interested!

They are super yummy and ridiculously easy to make. I had some leftover fresh cranberries hanging around in the fridge from the holidays so I threw those in too and made some "mixed berry" oatmeal cups, and they were just as tasty!

On a side note, Mike and I recently watched the documentary Forks Over Knives and as a result, we are trying to incorporate a more plant-based diet into our every day lives, mostly for health and environmental reasons. Since we still enjoy eating some meat and we're not quite ready to cut out animal products entirely, we've decided to focus on eating vegan four out of seven days a week. So far, it's been a lot of fun! I found a ton of recipes on Pinterest and we've loved every one that we've tried. It really helps take the pressure off knowing that we can still eat meat a few days a week, so it definitely has made the adjustment easier. So all that said, for most recipes I post from now on, I'll be including a vegan alternative if the recipe itself is not already vegan.

This recipe was not originally vegan, but I used a simple substitute for the egg and it worked like a charm!

Ingredients
1 cup mashed banana
1 cup uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats
1 egg (or 3 tbsp applesauce)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup blueberries

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425F and spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.

2. Mash banana until smooth. Add in all remaining ingredients except blueberries until combined.

3. After banana mixture is blended, gently fold in blueberries.

4. Scoop batter into muffin tin, and bake for 5 mins at 425F. Next, decrease oven temperature to 375F and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes.

5. Allow muffins to cool for a few minutes in the muffin tin. Removing them while hot will cause them to break apart as they are very moist.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! I've been vegetarian for about 2.5 years and am switching to vegan. I give people credit for taking any steps! The way I see it, cutting back is way better than making no changes! :) These muffins look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'm so impressed! It takes quite a lot of effort. Hope you get to try the muffins! :)

      Delete