Mistakes I've Already Made in 2017

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Photo cred: The Amazing Macy Volpe

Welcome to 2017!

How's everything going for you so far? Great? I'm so glad to hear it!

Me? Not so much.

Why don't you take off your coat and stay a while, and I'll fill you in on all the details as to how I'm already making a mess of 2017. As you may have heard, my word for the year is "simplify" and when I woke up on Sunday morning, I was ready to take the bull by the horns and start tackling my first project. The plan for simplifying my year was pretty straightforward; every month I'd pick an area of my life to organize, downsize, and simplify and then get to work!

For January I'd chosen social media & screen time. I was excited about this one, mostly because it was a fairly easy first pitch and, when complete, would have a huge impact on my life. My plan included things like this:

- Delete unnecessary apps that I no longer use 
- Determine which apps to keep and what their purpose will be
- Clean up and organize content on the ones I choose to keep
- Cut cable
- Purchase dock for devices to store at night, away from bedroom
- Develop plan for limiting screen time 

You get the idea.

So, as I said, I woke up eagerly on January 1st and hopped on my laptop to start the clean-up process.

At first, I was super productive. I deleted my Twitter, Snapchat, and Periscope accounts. (Bet you didn't know I had Periscope, did ya? Exactly.) I went through all photos, pages, groups, messages, threads, and tags dating all the way back to 2006 and deleted everything that was no longer relevant. By the way, do yourself a favor and log onto Facebook on a real computer sometime and check out the layers of archived messages. You will be shocked at how much Facebook automatically saves without your knowledge!

Then I got busy cleaning up apps that I planned to keep. Facebook is an obvious one, but I also decided to hang onto my Instagram (since it now basically has Snapchat and Periscope built right in), Pinterest, and LinkedIn. It felt really good going through all those old boards of pins I never used and actually organizing the links to helpful ones!

As you can imagine, this basically took an entire day. At the end of the night, I sat back with a glass of wine, satisfied with my progress, and did one final search to see what other accounts I might have out there on the interweb floating around that I wasn't aware existed.

What did I find?

Google+!

So what did I do?

Deleted it and all associated applications.

Dun, dun, dun!

It took me all of about thirty seconds after I clicked the agree button to realize that my Google+ account is linked to both PicasaWeb albums and Blogger which are in turn linked to one another. I quickly went back to read the disclaimer only to find that I had just agreed (happily) to deleting the sources for every single one of my blog images... since 2012.

So folks, if you navigate your mouse a little to left and click on any of the links in my blog archive, you'll find lots and lots of pretty words that lack lots and lots of pretty pictures.

I spent most of yesterday developing a new plan for how I'm going to restore all the images, and unfortunately, there is no way to get them back (even with my backups) aside from going back manually and uploading all the images all over again.

I'm sure right now any blogger reading this is probably cringing or popping blood pressure pills at the mere thought of what I did, but funny enough, I'm not stressed at all. If suddenly my entire blog had disappeared, writing included, let me make it clear - it would be a completely different story. But honestly, even though I've just added months of work to my to-do list, I know it can be fixed.

I guess, if anything, this has only served as a reminder for me to get to work cleaning up old posts so that I can have my blog printed into a little keepsake book like I've talked about for years. So far, I've tackled most of 2016's posts and will start chugging along day by day, post by post, until they all have their rightful photos once again.

Let this be a lesson to all those thinking of incorporating minimalism into their lives in 2017. Remember kids, don't drink and simplify!

4 comments:

  1. Yikes. First of all, GO YOU for cleaning up all your social media/technology. Don't let the frustration of this let you forget how amazing you are for minimizing your technology. That's an amazing feat that you should be proud of! Second of all, while I know how completely devastating that can feel (believe me...I've been there) I would argue that this in some way simplifies your life. It gives you a chance to go back and easily delete posts that are no longer relevant without thinking twice. It can give you a chance to re-read old posts. While it does create SO MUCH MORE WORK, it, in some ways, gives you a fresh start. Just trying to see the silver lining here. You got this, girl! I love how much more you are blogging lately! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true Annie! Thank you for your support! I honestly feel like it's a fresh start for the new year and now I can go back and really take a good look at all the content I put out over the last few years and decide what should stay and what shouldn't. Thanks so much again girl! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry this all happened! How frustrating to try and minimize and then come to a halt like that. I'm glad you found a way to just have a fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Macy! It's been a major bummer but at the same time a really good exercise going back through all these posts. At least I'll have a nice clean blog afterwards! haha!

      Delete