That Time I Signed Up to Bike 140 Miles For Charity

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

So I think I did something crazy, but before I jump into it, let me explain.

Last fall, a bunch of my co-workers and I volunteered at this non-profit in Baltimore called Moveable Feast that provides meals at no cost to people with HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other life-threatening illnesses. They've been around for nearly thirty years and last year alone they delivered over 800,000 meals to more than 5,000 patients. Their goal for this next year is to provide one million meals to people all over not just Baltimore City, but the five surrounding counties and the Eastern shore.

In my time working in Infectious Disease, I've come to understand how important it is that critically ill patients continue to get these services. Sometimes, a meal delivered by a charity like this is the only meal a homebound patient will get for the day. Needless to say, my coworkers and I were so inspired by the work they do at Moveable Feast that we wanted to find ways to help raise money for the organization. As soon as we asked, the coordinators working with us that day began excitedly explaining that a majority of their funds (aside from grants) come from money raised through this bike ride they host every year in May. The Ride for the Feast, as they call it, is a 2-day, 140-mile bike ride from Ocean City to Baltimore City and all of the money raised by the riders goes directly to serve the patients.

And this is the crazy part...

Yep, you guessed it. I signed up.

I signed up for a 140-mile bike ride.

I signed up for a 140-mile bike ride with no experience.

I signed up for a 140-mile bike ride with no experience, when I don't even own a bike.

Well, that is until yesterday when I finally purchased one.


On top of everything we've had going on over the last few months, I've been slowly but surely working up my endurance, training 5-6 days a week at the gym, going to spin class, lifting weights, and trying my best not to think too much about the commitment I've made.

Half of me is stoked for this ride and half of me is terrified. But truthfully, no matter what happens, whether I accomplish my goal or not, at least I know that I'm supporting an incredible cause in the process. It's not going to be easy, but it will be worth it. It's also comforting knowing that I'm not alone. A few of my coworkers signed up too and will be riding right alongside me. We even formed a team - The Periodic Table Dancers are back in action!

Aside from all the training, I'm also working toward raising $1500 for the cause which is equal to the cost of feeding one client for an entire year. I'm now more than half way there, but I thought I'd share the information here on the blog in case anyone feels inspired to donate. (Or in case anyone pities me enough to contribute. Ha!)

The link to my page can be found here and honestly any little bit helps.

If you have questions regarding my sanity or would like to know more about the cause, please don't hesitate to ask! Aaand if you have tips on riding 140 miles on a bike across Maryland, I'll take those too! ;)

4 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing!! It definitely sounds daunting but I know you definitely wont regret it and it's something you'll always remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jenn! I'm looking forward to it for sure!

      Delete
  2. SO SO SO SO SO proud of you! I could never imagine signing up to do something so challenging but you have a heart of gold and wanted to help no matter what. I love that about you and can't wait to see you succeed in your goal! Chris and I will be donating to the cause and supporting you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much love! <3 You are the absolute sweetest! I sincerely appreciate your support!

      Delete