Weekends at Cowan's Gap

Monday, July 31, 2017


We've had this little getaway to Cowan's Gap in Pennsylvania planned for months, but man I tell you, it could not have come at a better time. Things have been pretty chaotic for us over the last few weeks between preparing to sell our house, dealing with insurance claims for stupid things like car accidents (we're fine) and trees falling on our house (it's fine too), and the overall stress of the busy seasons of life. By the time we made it to Wednesday night, we were so ready to escape and leave our worries behind for a few days. As we passed over the state line and into the mountains, we both breathed a sigh of relief knowing that at least for the long weekend, everything was on hold. This was also Archie's first camping trip, so we were eager to introduce him to the outdoor life we love. I made a point to document it as best I could and get a little more practice in with my 50mm.

Camping trips in the mountains are the types of vacations we live for. The ones where you take two naps a day, eat your weight in s'mores, hike it off among scenic mountain views, lounge around a crackling campfire after dinner, and then fall asleep to the sound of rain drops tapping the roof of your tent.

I love losing cell service. I love not wearing makeup. I love not having schedules to stress over and most of the time not even knowing what time it is, except for the height of the sun in the sky above me. I love campfire smoke.  I love how its smell clings to my clothes and the way it looks filtering the rays of early morning light. I love waking up to hot coffee in our blue enamel pot, with birds chirping and a light breeze blowing, and hellos and good mornings from temporary neighbors as they pass. I love long lake swims in the afternoon and picnic lunches under shade of the trees along the shore. I love the mist that rolls in over the water at night and the million and one stars it reveals when it lifts.

There's so much I love about camping. So much I love about nature. There's something about the mountain air that makes me feel grounded and more connected to myself than I've ever been and I am so lucky to be married to a man who feels the same. Here's hoping we can bring this feeling back with us into the week ahead and replace some of the the craziness with calm.

"And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul."

2 comments:

  1. What a great weekend! I'm so glad you were able to get away for a much needed break. And girl, those photography skills are 110%!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!! Can't wait to hang out with you guys at the game tonight!!

      Delete